

It's that time of year to bring out all the candies and graham crackers to make our traditional gingerbread houses. Well, this year turned out to be a pain in the butt!! It looks like we are having a great time and I think everyone did but ME, in the beginning that is!!! To start off, I could not find my frosting recipe and the boys ( Cody and Landen) were going nut's wanting to get to the decorating and I am running around trying to get a recipe off the internet as fast as possible, my Betty Crocker cookbook did not have one! Weird. I finally got the frosting made and after 5 cake decorator's all kept failing and causing me to go bonkers we finally "kinda" got them to work!! grrrrr I was so frustrated. I just kept thinking "what am I doing this for?" By the time I got a tube of frosting to work Landen had lost interest and left to go play. The dads were watching football and the two year olds were running wild. But I kept going trying, hoping I was creating fun family memories.......Rachelle came in and started her house then all of a sudden I had a minute to help Traven and Thaxton and they were so happy and having so much fun putting candy on the houses. I was elated! I loved watching their little faces light up and they were clapping their hands in excitement of the whole experience. The kitchen was a TOTAL mess by then and Roberta could not believe I would even do this. She thought I was crazy too! I looked around and didn't even care about the mess, I loved the mess! I loved having the house full of my kids and grandkids. That part was wonderful!!!



Next time we make gingerbread houses, "Everyone" meaning moms and Dad's and Grandpa will all have to participate. I will have decent cake decorators all filled and READY to go. I will have the basic houses put together for the little ones so they can just start decorating and hopefully it won't be so chaotic.
I think I am still going to wait a couple of years though to recover :) By then boys will be old enough to do them all by themselves. Cody already takes the decorating of the houses very seriously. When I have these experiences, I always wonder if my Grandma's went through the same frustrations when I was kid. Probably not!! Neither one of them made gingerbread houses with me. They were much smarter than me!!!! LOL
I think I am still going to wait a couple of years though to recover :) By then boys will be old enough to do them all by themselves. Cody already takes the decorating of the houses very seriously. When I have these experiences, I always wonder if my Grandma's went through the same frustrations when I was kid. Probably not!! Neither one of them made gingerbread houses with me. They were much smarter than me!!!! LOL



WoW!! Looks like so much fun! I hope you are enjoying your self up north closer to your kids and grankids! :) The place look really cute and so do you, as always!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good grandma,I really think that waiting a couple of years is a good idea,at least if my kids are around,because I think they are too small for that.But I kept Travens and I plan on putting it up next CHRISTMAS.
ReplyDelete