Well, if anyone really knows me they know I love doing my family history. This past week my cousin Tracey and I ventured to Fillmore, UT to learn more about our Great Great Grandfather Noah Willis Bartholomew. Grandma Alta told us his picture was in the Territorial State House Museum there. I wanted to see for myself and take pictures and get more information on him. I can't believe I did not take pictures of the museum and the hallway of pictures of many other pioneers. It was so cool to go down the hall and look up and see Noah Willis Bartholomew there on the wall. We also found Mary Altena Catlin Bartholomew, Edwin Bartholomew, Lila Deseret Bartholomew and others that I need to find out exactly how they are related.
We bought a book that had many references of Noah in it and the museum gave us the info for the cemetery with a plot map and we were able to locate several headstones in the cemetery of our family. Noah Willis was the first Bishop of Fillmore!
The next day we left to go back to Rupert to see Grandma Alta and my Dad and Afton. We took a tape recorder to record Grandma Lowry as she told us more history. By the way she is doing great and was very ready to go out for a ride. She was sitting in front of her door with her hair and makeup done and earrings on and wanted to know why we were late!! She was like a little kid waiting to go on a big adventure. The rest home said it was time for Grandma's lunch and we told them "don't worry we will feed her lunch" well she was not hungry but wanted a soda, so we got her a coke.....then she wanted a rice krispie treat that I was eating....so we gave her a rice krispie treat! Before we knew it, it was time to get her back and head home. We were laughing so hard at the great lunch we fed grandma, a coke and a rice krispie treat!!! She was not going to tell and said she would eat all her dinner. so cute!
Dad was ready to feed us dinner and bar-b-q-ed hamburgers that were fabulous and made homemade fries outside for us that were fattening and soooo yummy. ummmmmmmmmm
Then we sat out in his shop and watched Lowry home movies that Tracey,Dad and Afton had not seen. We only made it through one CD and we were all so tired. Thanks Bart for putting those old movies to DVDs. xoxox
Next morning dad made Ebelskivers for us with Wess new recipe,(he thinks it's better then Peggy's) whew, the competition is on!!!! I got the recipe so I will have to make them both and compare. Tracey had not had Ebelskivers forever so she was in for a treat, me too! I bet I ate at least 10 of them!!
Dad ended up showing me more pictures and documents that he had never brought out before. I couldn't believe he has been holding out on me. He still has his pilot's license (expired) but still fun to see. For sure Trevor is built just like my dad. On dads license he is 6' and 137 lbs!!! Are you kidding me???!!!
I have all these new treasures to put in the Lowry Albums. I hope someday all of you will appreciate these books as much as I do. I am the "Keeper of the Family history"
I have officially named myself the Lowry family historian! I just love looking at the books over and over again. Is that weird?? I love dead people like crazy, I love all you that are alive too!!!
Tracey and I had a successful family treasure hunt.
I love Ebilskivers, although I'm pretty skeptical that Wes' are better than my Mom's, you better give me the recipe so I can decide. Russ says we better have a Christmas Ebilskiver cook-off...of course if I pick the wrong ones I may be dis-owned! hahaha I love learning about reletives too, it's so interesting!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are keeping up on the family history. You can do it all so I don't have too! I love hearing about it. I just don't like all the dirty work of getting it!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are doing all of this! You are wonder woman. Its great that you are blogging about it! Keep it up so all of us who are a little more out of it stay informed.
ReplyDeleteokay, I have been making my moms Ebelskivers alot lately and I love them! So you MUST give me Wes's recipe because if they are supposed to be better, I definately want to try as well.
Cute story about Gma... Shes so funny. Im glad she is doing good!
That is so cool.I wish I had that opportuniy.Way to go!
ReplyDeleteAll of our Maylett relatives originate from Manti, so I'm sure it's the same Mayletts....I will have to ask my in-laws. My father-in-law is crazy into geneology as well...he has an amazing "Maylett" geneology site...if you're interested.
ReplyDelete-Candace Maylett
cmaylett@hotmail.com
Better than Peggy's? WHAT? THat is pure blasphemy! :) We will have to have an ebelskiver cook-off! The rest of us can judge! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd when I am 97, I hope someone loves me enough to take me out for a Coke and Rice Krispie lunch, too! :)
Keep up all the great work! :)