Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Where in the heck is Yost Utah??!!??



                         Yay! We found Yost UT cemetery!!

Last week I traveled to Idaho to help my step mom paint her sewing room. I also did genealogy on the way. I had read about Yost UT and that my pioneer ancestors had settled there and that there were lots of them buried in the cemetery in Yost. Where in the heck is YosT??? Well, I wanted to know too so I set off on an adventure to find it. Holy Cow, it was far away going there from Snowville UT off of I-15 on dirt roads. I was alone and made a wrong turn and then I really did feel like  I was in the middle of nowhere wishing my sister was with me or anyone!!
I finally made it to Yost and found that there is nothing really there! I knew that going into this trek but really do wonder how anyone would still want to live there.
The cemetery was all that I had hoped it to be full of Tracy names that I was looking for. It was so exciting!!!
When I left to go on up to my dads it was so fast! I will only go to Yost again from Rupert. Dad and Afton decided they would like to go see Yost as they had never been there. So, we went back to Yost  two days later! Here, I had never been to Yost and now I was going there twice in one week!!

We took the L-Ooooooo-NNNNnnnnnnGGGGG way there through Oakley and City of Rocks. It was mostly long because the road from Oakley to Almo is a CRAPPY dirt road that I had to drive so slow on. It was fun to go to Oakley and we were going to the Oakley Museum that Grandma Lowry had loaned some items to it 25 years ago and Dad wanted to get them back. Sadly,they weren't there! They are checking on them and will get back to us.

Fast forward- We went to Basin Idaho, where Grandma lived until she was eight and I found her baby sister's headstone that had died at one day old in the cemetery. That was so exciting. I found many headstones and will tell about those later.  So many of these graves I didn't realize were there. When I got home and found some notes I took when Grandma was alive I realized she had told me. Why I didn't take her over there to the Basin baffles me! I'm so bummed. I just never realized where the Basin was and how easy it would have been to take her there.
We had fun eating in local restaurants in Oakley and Almo. If you ever go to Almo and see the Tracy general store its part of our history. The Tracy family owned that store and it is the oldest Mercantile store in Idaho that is still in operation!! Cool Huh! The Tracy's don't own it anymore but it still is called the Tracy store.

I could go on and on. I think I am going to make a family history Blog for all my pictures and histories. Anyway so this is not so long I will stop now and post some pictures from my Idaho trip.

Anyway it was an amazing fun trip. It's like being on a treasure hunt. Buried Treasure!!! Get it?!
I also had wood to cut out with dad in the workshop. It was fun working with him out there.
I had him telling me any story he could think of from his childhood or life so I could write a history on him.

 

 Afton and Dad

 Grandma's baby sister. her name was Ireta, NOT Treta!



I


 I'm standing by the over 100 year old cash register in the Tracy store and the credit file they used.

                                                             Cutting out trees!

 Dad with his super seeing eyeglasses!!! He has to wear these to keep glare and light out of his eyes so he can see better.

 
The really only historical church left in Yost that the pioneers built.

No comments:

Post a Comment