
It is 13 years tonight that my Mom died. It seems like only about 2 years. I miss her all the time. She was an awesome woman that still lives on inside of me everyday. I don't have any pictures on my computer to really give her a nice photo tribute. All I could do was take a picture of her picture to get something on here today. Anyway, Mom always worked when I was growing up, and I missed her not being around. But when she did come home I loved how the house would come alive. I hate to this day watching TV in the dark because it reminds me of doing that when she was late getting home from work. We (us kids) were too lazy to turn a light on and would be glued to the TV like zombies . nothing going on, nothing getting done...then she would come through the door and lights came on, dinner started cooking, and I loved it.
Some things I learned from my mom
She told me early on not to hold a grudge.
She always tried to look on the bright side and to be happy and positive.
I noticed that when she needed to do something, or remember something she would do it right then. She didn't procrastinate. She'd say "let's go get that right now" or let's swing by there and get that on our way home" If I am thinking I have got to go downstairs and get those pictures or whatever, so I don't forget I try to do it right then so I don't forget!
She taught me how to sew. I am soooo glad
She taught me to be adventuresome. To get out and travel and do things.
She taught me to be independent. If my husband can't go or a friend go by yourself.
She taught me to make do with what I have. To fix things up. to be thrifty.
She taught me to read the paper and to be aware of community events and to get involved if needed. She also got me addicted to reading the Obituaries!!
She helped me develop my decorating talent by letting me decorate my own room with no rules. Meaning she let ME(she did not even help me) paint it whatever color I wanted (super bright yellow) and she even let me stick down carpet squares from the Sears catalog (lime green) Can you imagine that! I stuck them down over a wood floor by myself. She didn't even supervise me. But in the 70's shag carpet was way better then wood floors. Everyone covered up wood floors that I knew. But to do it alone, is crazy to me now. It made me be a self starter though and able to do things on my own.
She taught me to be responsible and to be dependable.
She taught me to not be scared to be alone.
She taught me how to work in the yard and to grow flowers.
She told me to always take my kids to church and to stay active.
She taught me to be a fun Grandmother and to take my grand kids on trips and go to fun places with them.
She always hated wimpy women and wanted to be a strong woman. I told her I wanted to be that too. So on her death bed she said "Here, take my strength", and she hugged me close and tight to transfer it to me. I felt empowered from that and told her I would carry on her legacy of being a strong women. So in her honor I encourage all you granddaughters to strive to be strong independent women.
I could go on and on but will finish this in my journal.
I just wanted to honor her today and tell her I Love her.
She was a Super Great Mom!! I hope my kids will feel the same about me when I am gone.
Beautiful post.. I remember her telling me 'Mindy, Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses'.. And until she passed I really didnt get that... I wanted to smell them and move on! I wished so bad she were around still to talk to.. just about life. I miss her.
ReplyDeleteMiss her in our lives and family. I wish I'd had time to know her better before she got sick... and that my boys could know her in this life.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I am sad that you don't have photos of her n your computer... I will e-mail the ones I have! :)
Thanks for the post. I always feel bitter sweet around our anniversary because it was the beginning of our life together but the end of Grandma Joyce's. I wish I would have had more time to get to know her, I know I would have loved her. It was sad that she found out she was sick right when I met her so I didn't really get to know the fun, adventurous and oh so talented lady that she was. Thanks for all of the little bits of wisdom that you learned from her. I love when you and Peggy talk about her, the stories make her come alive for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing this post! I miss her all the time too. She was so much fun to be around. I loved reading what you said about her, thanks!
ReplyDelete